Album
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
 
whatz in a name?

Come on tell me, whatz in a name? Say, if I my name was Sanjana or Samyuktha, would I be any different? Or, if i right now, change my name to something else, will my life be better? There are so many people advocating nameology...is it really true???

Well, let me tell u what actually triggered this line of thought...I have been looking at the diwali sales - why is that some shops have such a huge crowd and some shops have no one else other than their employees. Why do people go to some shops inspite of the fact that the place is so crowded that you cant even breath and all u can smell is sweat! If you cant understand what I am talking, just check out some shops in tnagar.

Coming back to the topic, if saravana stores was actually not called saravana stores or if rmkv was called abcd, will they still be making this sales? Is name so important in establishing the brand?? or do people throng these shops because of the price/quality/advertisements yada yada...

Will writing the name as Aarthi or Arthi or Arthy or Arti or Aarthy or RT make my life different???? Tell me folks, whatz in a name???
 
Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Well, the name does make a difference! Haven't you heard of the term "Brand Equity" ? Lets say, I want to buy a jeans, I have options like Levi's, Wrangler and Pantaloons..Assuming that all these brands are equal in quality, why is levi's costlier than wrangler which is costlier than Pantaloons? Its because of the brand (name) !
 
oh yeah..heard of brand equity et al...but my point was more to do with the name itself..i.e if levis was named wrangler, what would have happened?
 
Wow...so nice to hear this from someone from chennai. I've had this strange feeling that everyone in chennai is under the spell of nameology, gemology and stuff :). Glad you're not caught up in such silly stuff.
 
Ok..if you are just bothered about the name, i can try to explain it in a different way. Well, a person or a product is named in such a way that he/it explains his/its qualities by that given name. I agree that this makes perfect sense with respect to a product but not when it comes to a person.
When Toyota launched "Qualis" in the Indian market, the explanation given to its name was "Quality in Service". The name proved to be apt because Toyota opened a huge network of service to support the after-sales issues.
But when it comes to a person's name, the name reflects the qualities that the parents expect out of the person. So it is more of a dream than reality! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
-An attempt at compressing my life in words and pictures...

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / March 2006 / April 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / November 2006 /



My Photo Album...
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from aarthi_srik tagged with pinnewala. Make your own badge here.


Currently Reading...


I Frequent..
Archa
RS
Ramya
Naveen
IBH
Anupama
Kiruba
Saffron
Bus
Nitya
Damuk
Kumari
Subashini

Powered by Blogger